Picky Bride Has to Choose a Dress From the Sample Section | Say Yes To The Dress UK
How to Choose a Dress for the Mother of the Bride
A wedding is a special day, not only for the happy couple but also for their families. If you're the mother of the bride, choose a dress that works for the occasion. Think about the general wedding theme and style so your dress can fit in with this. Choose the right color and cut for the occasion. Make sure to talk to the happy couple as you pick your dress. They can help you choose the right outfit for their special day.
Considering the Wedding Theme and Style
Think about formality.How formal is the wedding? This will affect the kind of dress it's appropriate to wear. A very formal wedding will require a dress to match, while you can go for something more casual for a low-key wedding.
- A full-length is required for a very formal wedding. Your dress should minimize sparkle. Stick to a conservative gown in only one or two colors.
- A very casual wedding, like a beach wedding, does not call for a very fancy dress. A sundress may be sufficient, although a light shawl or cardigan may be necessary in case it gets chilly. Make sure to consult with the bride so your dress is not more formal than her dress.
- For semi-formal weddings, choose a dress that matches the attire of the bride and bridesmaids. Something like a halter dress with a jacket can easily fit in at a semi-formal affair.
Keep the theme in mind.If a wedding has a strict theme, it's important your dress matches that theme. Make sure you know the theme of the wedding, and the kind of attire that's appropriate, before selecting a dress.
- For example, a wedding with a renaissance theme may require a dress with an archaic feel.
- Religious and other customs may also affect the type of dress you should wear. A wedding following a specific religious tradition, for example, may require a special type of dress.
Think about the time of day.When the wedding takes place can also affect the appropriate type of dress. Day and morning weddings generally require shorter, slightly more casual dresses. Weddings that take place closer to the evening often require evening dresses.
Select the right attire for destination weddings.A destination wedding may come with special considerations in regards to style. A wedding at a castle, for example, may require a long ball gown. A wedding at a beach may require a light, sunny dress.
Selecting the Right Style
Add some variation with color.You should not choose a dress that is the same color, or a very similar color, to the bridesmaids dresses. You want some variation so you will stand apart slightly from the crowd. However, you do not want to draw attention away from the bride. Pick something that fits with the color scheme, but is not too similar to the bridesmaids dresses.
- For example, if bridesmaids are dressed in a deep purple shade, a lavender dress can be an appropriate option.
- If there is another mother of the bride, you may want to consult with her as well.
Choose the right pattern.A solid colored dress can be appropriate, but you can also opt for patterns. This can be something to set you apart from the wedding party. If bridesmaids dresses are a single color, for example, you can wear a striped or polka dot dress.
- Make sure to take color into consideration as well when choosing a pattern. Choose colors that match with the wedding party's color scheme.
Talk about style choices with other mothers.The mother of the groom, or the mother of the other bride, will likely be choosing a dress as well. It's a good idea to coordinate outfits. You do not have to wear the same attire, but you may want their dresses to have a few things in common. For example, you could agree to wear dresses with a similar cut, pattern, or style.
Figure out the right length.Length depends heavily on the wedding's general atmosphere and theme. Usually, longer dresses and skirts work best for weddings after noon. For morning weddings, select something shorter.
- However, keep in mind there are no hard and fast rules. You want something that makes you feel comfortable and matches the wedding's atmosphere. For example, do not feel you have to select a longer dress for a very casual wedding that happens to take place later in the day.
Choosing a Dress Effectively
Start dress shopping early.As soon as possible, start shopping for your dress. This way, you can take as much time as you need to pick something that works for you. However, let the bridesmaids pick out their dresses first so you can coordinate yours. The mother of the groom, if there is one, should pick out her dress after yours. You want to make sure your dress fits in with the rest of the wedding party. Aim to have a dress settled on about a month before the wedding.
Communicate while choosing a dress.Make sure to keep communication open with your daughter. As you select your dress, talk to your daughter about the wedding's general style. This way, you can make sure the dress matches somewhat with the ceremony.
Purchase a dress at a specialty outlet.Go to an outlet that sells wedding attire to buy a dress, if possible. Professionals may be able to offer advice on the best dress for the mother of the bride. They can also make adjustments on your chosen gown if needed.
- Make sure to have as much information nailed down as possible before going into a specialty outlet. A professional will want to know the theme of the wedding and other outfits that have been chosen.
QuestionIs the mother of the bride's dress supposed to be in the same color scheme as the bridesmaids' dresses?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is up to the bride. Often the mother of the bride wears a complementary shade, but chooses her own dress.Thanks!
QuestionDo I wear same colour as my daughter, the bride?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTalk to her about her wishes. Every bride is different.Thanks!
QuestionMy daughter is wearing a black dress for her wedding, what color dress would suit me?Community AnswerYou don’t want to wear the same color dress as your daughter. You could opt for a navy dress with white heels. If you’re wearing stockings, you should wear a sheer black pair to add a color variation to your outfit.Thanks!
Video: Style Tips: How to Choose a Dress That Fits Your Body Type
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
How to Add an iTunes Subscribe Button to a Wordpress Blog for a Podcast
How to Experience Russia in Winter
How to Talk Like a Pirate
How to Start a Petition on Care2
31 Fringe Dresses You Can Wear for Halloween andBeyond
Man Captures the Moment a Shark Bites His New Wife on Their Honeymoon
How To Wear Custom Shoe Laces For Men
DANIEL HECHTER Competition
40 Pinterest-Ready InspirationalQuotes
How to Expunge a DUI
What Time Should I Go To Bed To Wake Up Feeling Refreshed
The Pill-Free Way to Reduce Migraine Pain
Sweet Apple and Mustard Marinated Grilled Chicken